Environment, Health, Safety & Sustainability
Syngene considers Environment, Health, Safety & Sustainability (EHSS) excellence as a top priority in all of its processes and is fully committed to achieving it in the most responsible manner. Our management system approach, consisting of gap analysis, planning, review and implementation has percolated to all business plans through ISO 14001:2015 & OHSAS 18001:2007 standards at all levels. Our EHSS systems and processes have been audited and duly certified by M/S TUV Nord.
Salient features of Syngene’s EHSS Policy
- Complying with all applicable laws and regulations in all countries in which we operate.
- Conducting employee training programs that are focused on operational safety, occupational health and environmental protection by prevention of pollution at all levels of operations.
- Energy conservation, recovery, recycling, reuse and reduction of waste, minimizing hazards and risks, preventing injury and ill health in all process operations.
- Continually evaluating and improving Environment, Health, Safety & Sustainability performance through documentation, periodic audits and providing the framework for setting and reviewing Environment Health and Safety objectives and targets.
- Adopting best practices in Environment, Health, Safety & Sustainability management through effective communication and continual improvement in processes that pursue the latest developments in this area.
Through its annual environment plan and business targets, Syngene identifies projects and works towards achieving maximum possible recycling and reuse of natural resources. A management framework with defined structures, roles and responsibilities, group guidelines, audits and training has been instituted for this purpose.
Some of Syngene's environmental initiatives are:
- Environment management and qualitative risk analysis for all new and major expansion projects
- Measures to mitigate environmental impacts and occupational health & safety risks arising out of project implementation
- Maintenance of all hardware - such as effluent treatment plants, air emission abatement units and waste disposal facilities
- Zero discharge facility with world class environment management practices
- Centralized utility & treatment facilities like water treatment plant, effluent treatment and recycling plant, boiler, cooling tower, DG sets, etc.
Health and Safety
Syngene has an Occupational Health Center (OHC) at its site which offers health care services to its employees. This center is equipped with diagnostic and therapeutic equipment and is manned by qualified health specialists. The programmes conducted by OHC, include preventive health care through pre-employment and also periodic medical examination of all employees. The company endeavours to move towards the concept of wellness as it recognizes that a healthy endeavours is a productive employee.
In the last few years, the Management has been steadily taking strategic steps to implement world class safety practices. The engagement focusses on behavioral and process safety aspects and aims to bring excellence in safety management.
World class documented standards, emphasis on line management responsibility, an improved and standardized process for safety observations have enabled us to achieve higher employee participation in the safety management process.
Awards and Recognitions for EHSS
- 4 Star award for best Environment Health & Safety Management System -2016 by CII
- Workplace Assessment Conditions (WCA) Achievement Award by Intertek
- 4 Star award for Best EHS-2014 practices by Confederation of Indian Industry, Southern Region at Chennai
- 3 Star award for Best EHS-2013 practices by Confederation of Indian Industry, Southern Region at Chennai
- Greentech Gold Environment Award - 2011 by Greentech Foundation
- Uttama Suraksha Puraskara - 2011 by National Safety Council - Karnataka Chapter.
- "Special Commendation" for the 'Golden Peacock Award for Occupational Health & Safety for the year 2011'
- Meritorious achievement in Environment and Occupational Health & Safety award -2010 by CII
- Safety Excellence Award - 2009 from Karnataka State Safety Institute (Directorate of Factories)